Well, looks like it’s that time of the year again. Actually, it’s getting more and more that this is the only time that I actually make posts anymore.
So in my annual tradition, I will make my bullet pointed year in review post to discuss all the crazy things that happened this year!
- I was fully promoted to Program Development Manager. That means that I’m not teaching full time (I still have a model class to test the stuff that I’m developing). My responsibilities have changed a lot. Now I’m developing a whole new curriculum, training teachers in a number of other schools with it, and sending them out to teach the program. This has a number of stresses that go along with it, but ultimately, it’s a very very positive and rewarding experience.
- In Toastmasters, I was promoted to Area Director. This added responsibility put me as the first support person for 6 local clubs (4 regular clubs, and 2 prospective). I learned a lot about working with executive teams. Mostly though, it’s that most people are not people of action. They talk a lot and rarely get a lot done. It’s very different from my approach, and it taught me a lot of patience. Having said that, it’s not something that I want to repeat next year. I’m pretty sure that my tenure on the Executive level will end after this year.
- As for health, it’s been up and down this year. I was, at one point, in the best shape that I’ve been since high school. I was vigilant on exercise and eating right, but now my shape has started going back to resemble something of a ball. At least it hasn’t reached the point of being like a yoga ball yet… We’ll see after all the celebrating during the winter months.
- On the personal front, my divorce was finalized. It was a bittersweet event. I never have to deal with her again. I don’t have to provide any kind of financial support. After 5 years (a significant chunk of my life) everything is completely finished. Having said that, I also have no access to my son. It’s sad, and it was something that took a while for me to deal with, but it is what it is, and it is nothing more than that. I must look to the future.
- On that note, I met someone. Actually, I met lots of someones, but one in particular. We dated for a while, and took a couple trips together, and it got serious toward the end of the year. We just finished moving in together, and I even proposed to her (she said “Of course!”). I’m looking forward to introducing her to anyone who still reads my blog once the whole coronavirus thing dies down and we can start living a normal life again.
So that’s pretty much it. It was a very busy year, probably the busiest single year of my life so far. Now that I’m moved and starting my life anew, I’m hoping that I’ll be able to find time in 2022 to really invest in learning how to rest and relax. If nothing else, I plan to start working on my routine again, and to get back into the shape I lost after summer ended…